Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Sunday 26 January 2014

The perks of being a wallflower


author: Timotej Letonja, December 2012

All of my previous selves still survive somewhere inside of me, and my previous adolescent would have loved “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.” The movie has received glowing reviews, and some snarky ones that seem to have been written by previous adults. The film is about an alienated high-school freshman who sees himself as a chronic outsider, and then is befriended by a group of older kids who embrace their non-conformist status.

The Book:
“Charlie” is the alias of the adolescent narrator of the novel, who is about to begin his first year of high school. The novel is presented through letters that Charlie writes to an anonymous friend, whom he hears girls at school talk about fondly. Charlie begins his freshman year apprehensive due to the death of his only good friend Michael, who committed suicide several months before. He does not feel that he can lean on his parents or older siblings for support because they never tru- ly understand him. He also explains that the only relative that he ever felt close to was his Aunt Helen, but she was killed in a car accident on his seventh birthday. Charlie soon makes friends with two seniors, Sam, and her step-brother Patrick. Throughout the story, Sam, Patrick, and Charlie’s English teacher Bill introduce him to many new experiences and the letters he writes show his growth. Bill gives Charlie many books to read, which influence the way he thinks greatly.
The Movie:
The movie confirms one of my convictions: If you are too popular in high school, you may become so fond of the feeling that you never find out who you really are. The film is based on Stephen Chbosky’s best-selling young-adult novel, which was published in 1999 and is now on many shelves next to The Catcher in the Rye. It offers the rare pleasure of an author directing his own book, and doing it well. No one who loves the book will complain about the movie, and especially not about its near-ideal casting.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a 2012 American film adaptation of the 1999 novel of the same title. The film stars Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miller and was directed by the novel’s author, Stephen Chbosky. It was filmed the previous year.
My opinion: 
Well this book made a big impression on me, and I can say that it is definitely my favorite book, and coming from me that is big because I am not really into books but I must say it is a book to read. I can completely relate to a few thinks and situations in the book. Like I said before it is a really good one, I already got my friends, professors and my family to read it and they actually all really like it. I can only say it is a must read! The book made a huge impact on me and that is because a lot of things are basically every teenager's reality and we begin high school with so many expectations. We all are unique and we must never forget that! It is hard to relate with other youngsters, for me it was not, but basically HIGH school changed my life, it changed me and who I am in a good way, and reading this book made me realize that we are all alike and special at the same time. It made me accept the people that are different even though I believe we are all special in our own way and that we have to accept each other, whether we like it or not! 
Other opinions (critics):
Perks seems like the work of a much more experienced director, maintaining fidelity to the source mate- rial without sacrificing any cinematic qualities, triggering genuine sentimentality and nostalgia through interaction between sound and image.
Regardless of the viewer’s proximity to his or her own high school experience, “Perks” seems to get it
right, precisely because it’s not about a specific time or place.
If you want to read more about both the book and the movie, check it on my webpage. 


Published in: Heartbeat magazine, 
http://www.pgmb.si/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Heartbeat_13_01_2013-4.pdf






No comments:

Post a Comment